Safer City Streets
Safer City Streets is the global traffic safety network for liveable cities. It brings together cities wishing to improve their urban road safety performance by sharing data, experiences and knowledge – by learning from each other.
Every minute, a person dies in city traffic. Among people killed on city streets, 8 out of 10 are pedestrians, cyclists and other vulnerable road users. Where streets are seen as dangerous, efforts to promote walking and cycling are undermined. Reducing the risks of urban traffic thus not only saves lives: it unlocks sustainable forms of transport which reduce pollution, cut emissions, fight congestion and improve the physical and mental health of citizens – in short, safer streets are a key to make a city more liveable.
Nearly 50 cities have joined Safer City Streets since the network's launch in 2016 at the UN Habitat III conference. The network is managed by the International Transport Forum (ITF), which collects, validates and analyses relevant data from cities in a dedicated database.Member cities have access to policy-relevant data, a network of experts, targeted analyses and a global road safety benchmark.
Safer City Streets is modelled on the global road safety network of countries hosted by the ITF, which has run for more than 25 years, and which is known as the International Traffic Safety Data and Analysis Group (IRTAD). The IRTAD Group has been hailed by the World Health Organization as “a model of a multi-country effort” and its crash data as “simply the best in the world” by Global NCAP, the car assessment programme.
- Monitoring Progress in Urban Road Safety (November 2020)
- Best Practice for Urban Road Safety: Case Studies (September 2020)
- Road Safety in European Cities: Performance Indicators and Governance Solutions, (April 2019)
- Safer City Streets: Global Benchmarking for Urban Road Safety (November 2018 - also available in Spanish | versión español)
- Monitoring and Fostering Progress in Urban Road Safety (23 November 2020, Webinar)
- Safe System in Cities: Multi-agency commitment for a Vision Zero agenda in London (17 September 2020, Webinar)
- Safe Speeds in Cities: Street design, speed limits and law enforcement (24 September 2020, Webinar)
- Safe Streets in Cities: Identifying dangerous locations before a serious crash happens (01 October 2020, Webinar)
- 6th meeting in Lisbon, Portugal, October 2019
- 5th meeting in Buenos Aires, Argentina, April 2019
- 4th meeting in London and Manchester, United Kingdom, November 2018
- 3rd meeting in Rome, Italy, April 2018
- 2nd meeting in Brussels, Belgium, December 2017
- 1st meeting in Paris, France, April 2017
The Safer City Streets nework is supported by