Container Port Strategy
Summary and Conclusions
This report examines how ports can accommodate changes in maritime transport (such as the arrival of mega-ships) while adapting to developments in the hinterland (notably in their host cities). It presents considerations and recommendations for policy-makers to help find a mutually beneficial balance between port and city, with a special section dedicated to Buenos Aires and its container port. The publication summarises the results of a Roundtable held in Buenos Aires in 2017.
Go to more information on Container Port Systems of the Future Roundtable
- Introduce demand-driven and flexible port planning.
- Assess the merits of developing new container ports thoroughly.
- Implement port-gate policies, such as truck appointment systems.
- Stimulate cooperation between stakeholders in the maritime logistics chain.
- In the Argentinean context, strategically assess the long-term location options for container ports.