The Future of Public Transport Funding
Well-funded public transport services that provide easy access for all citizens to the opportunities they seek are essential to decarbonising transport, making our cities more liveable, and connecting people living in rural areas. This report aims to help governments meet the challenge of funding public transport sustainably and equitably. It recommends revisiting investment allocations, moving away from a road focus, and ensuring the efficiency of public transport services. Governments must also optimise the contributions of users, indirect beneficiaries of public transport (including landowners and businesses) and the public sector.
This report draws on the deliberations of an ITF Working Group, Funding Public Transport.
- Fund public transport as a crucial part of a sustainable, decarbonised and accessible transport system.
- Formulate integrated funding strategies for future public transport services.
- Ensure effective co-ordination between levels of government when funding public transport investments.
- Improve the efficiency of public transport infrastructure investments and service provision.
- Adopt explicit fare policies and implement them via formal processes.
- Use structured fare policies for more equitable accessibility.