ITF Transport Outlook 2023
This edition of the ITF Transport Outlook examines the impacts of different policy measures on global transport demand and carbon dioxide emissions to 2050. The analysis covers the movement of passengers and freight across all transport modes. A particular focus is placed on transport policies that make cities more liveable. A second focus is on infrastructure investment decisions and what different policy scenarios mean for them. As a third focus, the report explores regional differences in policy impacts.
The analysis is based on two distinct scenarios for the future of transport, simulated with the ITF’s in-house transport models. The Current Ambition scenario assumes policies to decarbonise transport continue along their current pathway and considers the implications for transport demand, carbon dioxide emissions and further aspects over the next three decades. The High Ambition scenario assumes policies focused on accelerating the decarbonisation of the transport sector and their impact.
The ITF Transport Outlook 2023 was launched on 24 May 2023 at the ITF Summit in Leipzig, Germany.
Download a summary (PDF):
- Develop comprehensive strategies for future mobility and infrastructure
- Accelerate the transition to clean vehicle fleets
- Implement mode shift and demand-management policies where they are most effective
- Consider the additional benefits for urban areas when evaluating policies
- Reform vehicle taxation to capture external costs of new vehicle fleets