Improving Transport Planning and Investment Through the Use of Accessibility Indicators
Accessibility of goods, jobs, services and other opportunities is a fundamental condition for ensuring the well-being of citizens. This report examines how accessibility indicators can be used to improve transport planning and investment with that objective in mind. It also identifies principles for accessibility-based decision making and discusses how accessibility indicators can be effectively operationalised.
- Improve understanding of links between changes in accessibility and well-being.
- Analyse local accessibility needs rather than focusing on the regional scale.
- Use a mix of easy-to-use indicators to support planning decisions.
- Move beyond measuring availability of infrastructure to an examination of user needs.
- Develop better methodologies for including accessibility considerations into project appraisal.