Sustainable Aviation Fuels: Policy Status Report
The aviation sector has pledged to become climate neutral by 2050. Sustainable Aviation Fuels (SAFs) are the only available low-carbon fuel technology for air travel today. They are thus indispensable for the sector to reach its climate targets. This report presents recommendations to promote the production and deployment of SAFs, which can replace conventional fossil aviation fuel to reduce carbon dioxide emissions from aircraft. The insights come from discussions in the ITF’s Decarbonising Aviation Common Interest Group, an expert forum on SAF policies bringing together government and industry representatives.
This report is part of the ITF Decarbonising Transport: Driving Implementation Actions project.
- Invest in Sustainable Aviation Fuels now to lower production costs to levels that allow widespread use.
- Support all sustainable production technologies and feedstock types that deliver credible emission reductions.
- Expand existing SAF frameworks to help aviation deliver on international climate objectives.
- Capture opportunities for industrial development and energy supply resilience.
- Create transport decarbonisation strategies that incorporate all transport sectors to maximise emission savings.